By Carly Thompson
Editor In Chief

The Hutchinson Community College Board of Trustees has announced the three finalists for the college’s president position. There were more than 40 applicants that were narrowed down to a semifinalist group. From there the finalists were chosen – Joel Michaelis, Greg Nichols, and Tricia Paramore.

Each candidate came to the HutchCC campus for open forums for faculty, staff, students and the public. Within the past week, after last Thursday’s announcement.

Meet the finalists:

Tricia Paramore

Paramore is from Hutchinson and an alumna of Hutchinson High School. She attended the University of Kansas where she earned Bachelor of Science degrees in Cellular Biology and Genetics, and a Master’s degree in Molecular Genetics.

She also has her Doctorate of Philosophy in Educational Studies with specialization in Educational Leadership in Higher Education from the University of Nebraska.

Paramore began as a biology instructor in Kansas and Texas at different community colleges. She began at Hutchinson Community College 28 years ago, and she has moved up the ranks. Starting as a professor, she moved to department chair and then , in January, 2023, Vice President of Academic Affairs. She has experience in faculty development, higher education accreditation, and leadership of strategic planning processes.

Paramore is married to her husband Lonnie, a teacher and basketball coach at Haven High School, and they have two children, Payton and Faith.

Greg Nichols

Nichols has his Bachelor of Business Administration from the University of Oklahoma, Master of Science from Emporia State University, completed coursework for a Doctorate in Education with an emphasis in Organizational Leadership and is pursuing a Doctor of Business Administration.

He also has a post-graduate certificate in District Level Leadership and Superintendent License.

Nichols began as a math teacher in Ness City, then moved to El Dorado to teach. His higher education experience began at Cowley College as a math instructor, where he earned the 2010 Outstanding Teacher Award and was later promoted to Associate Dean of Instruction.

Nichols also held the position of Vice President for Academic Affairs at Colby Community College where he helped to move Colby Community College from probation status to fully accredited with the Higher Learning Commission. During his three-year tenure, Colby online college percentage grew 400 percent. He is currently serving as the President and CEO of Salina Area Technical College.

Joel Michaelis

Michaelis graduated from Paris High School in Texas and attended Paris Junior College for a year before transferring to Texas A&M University. While there, he earned a Bachelor of Business Administration. He went on to attain a Master of Education in Higher Education administration from the University of Texas and a Doctor of Education in Higher Education Administration from Baylor University.

Michaelis has 30 years of experience working in education. He began as a sixth-grade mathematics instructor. He has also served in various administrative roles in student services, workforce development and academics in community colleges in Texas, Kentucky, and Nebraska.

He served as the Chief Academic Officer at Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College in Middlesboro, Kentucky and also at Hill College in Hillsboro, Texas. Currently, he is the Vice President of Instruction at Southeast Community College in Lincoln, Nebraska.