By Sam Ojeda
Sports Editor

The Hutchinson Community College soccer team battled against the Butler Grizzlies last Wednesday at the Salthawk Sports Complex. The game is one that is expected to be good every single year between the bitter rivals, and this year was no exception. 

Adriana Delgado was the most critical player in this game, as she has been in almost every game this year. With 3 minutes, 21 seconds to play in the game, the Blue Dragons were down a goal. Delgado had the ball in the middle of the field and had the shot. She chipped one just over the goalkeeper’s head to tie the game 1-1, which was the final score.

Blue Dragons coach Sammy Lane was happy in a game with little action.

“A draw was the most fair result for that match,” Lane said.

Butler CC was ranked ninth in the country, so grabbing a point from any ranked team is an accomplishment, but taking one from Butler was icing on the cake. The Blue Dragons have only taken a point from a top-10 team three times since 2010. 

Delgado has been a key piece all season for the Blue Dragons. In her eight games, she has 11 goals and three assists for a total of 25 points. She has also won NJCAA Player of the Week and KJCCC Player of the Week. 

Lane said he finds comfort in a player like Delgado.

“She has done a great job filling the shoes of our scorers that left from last year,” Lane said. “She gives us a shot to win every game and that is nice to have.” 

After beating Coffeyville CC 4-1 on Saturday, HutchCC now has a 6-0-2 record overall this season. The Blue Dragons have a 2-0-2 record in KJCCC play which is good for 11 points. 

They will take on Barton on Wednesday and finish out the week on Saturday against Kansas City Kansas.

After that, they head into a bye week.