The world is in a crazy place right now. Everywhere you turn there seems to be bad news after bad news.

With all of this negativity circling around, it’s crucial for us to find a healthy way to cope and maintain some sort of sanity. What works for one person may not work for the next so it’s important to find what works best for you specifically.

The Webster Dictionary defines ‘comfort food’ as food prepared in a way that brings a nostalgic or sentimental appeal. The same definition applies to the term ‘comfort show,’ an increasingly popular term used to describe a movie or television show that allows viewers to escape reality into a more comforting, nostalgic mindset.

For many people, this is a show that they’ve watched before yet no matter how many times they rewatch it, it’s still just as good as the first time. The familiarity of the show, knowing what is about to happen and not being surprised with yet another tragedy, provides the viewer with a place of comfort and peace.

If this isn’t something that appeals to you then maybe you’re more inclined to escape reality in a book or a relaxing walk on a trail.

Whatever that escape may be, find it and utilize it to the best of your ability to give your brain a break from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

For The Collegian Editorial Board