By Lynn Spahr / Staff writer

With school coming to an end and Christmas right around the corner, it’s probably time to start thinking about gifts. Getting the right gift for the people you love is never easy, and it’s even harder on a tight budget.

Here are some affordable, yet meaningful, gift ideas to get your loved ones this Christmas.

Handmade gifts. Anything from a small painting to a keychain. Supplies can be purchased at affordable prices and used to create gifts for everyone on your list. Every gift can be personalized to someone’s tastes with ease. If you have the time, you can make different kinds of gifts for the people on your list depending on what they like or need.

Cookies. They always seem to bring a smile to anyone’s face. They do cost more to make, but box mixes help with the expense, and you can split what you make between everyone. If you want to give them something with the cookies, you can get an affordable mug from a thrift store or give them a handmade gift.

Thrift stores are a good place to find affordable gifts. You can buy small trinkets that remind you of your loved ones. They’re also good places to find cheap supplies for handmade gifts, especially fabric or jewelry. Of course, you can give your loved one the jewelry too.

Finally, while not a traditional gift, you can give them your time. Having a movie or game night allows you to spend time with your loved ones. You can buy some affordable snacks, or ask people to bring their favorites. You can also ask that everyone bring food that fits within a theme, like finger food, or desert. If it’s a game night, ask everyone to bring their favorite game.

There are ideas for affordable gifts all over the internet, these are just a few. Don’t be afraid to get creative and start thinking outside the box.