By Braedon Martin

Dec. 10 marked a historical moment for the Hutchinson Community College Esports team. That day the Blue Dragons won their first national championship, courtesy of Nickerson freshman Colton Fast.

Fast, who is also a Collegian staff writer, played the 2K Sports title “NBA: 2K21”, and throughout the season never lost a match.

“I don’t want to say it was easy, but my expectations were higher. Regular season, I didn’t lose a single round the entire season,” Fast said. “Carl Albert State College, I owned them. I beat both their teams in sweeps. I’m their daddy. They were talking trash to me the whole season.”
ESports coach Heath Hensley said he enjoyed watching Fast take a stranglehold “NBA: 2K21”

“It was like watching perfection week after week and somehow get better,” Hensley said. “I was in awe at how well he knew the game and how well he knew the mechanics.”

Fast ended his season with the final championship match, winning 89-59 the decisive game in the best-of-five series. Fast’s championship was the first in the short history of HutchCC ESports, as he defeated the former champion Dorlondo Kern of Gogebic Community College (Michigan) 3-2. 

“The highlight (of the season) was his ability to learn his opponents play style and exploit it, usually within one match,” Hensley said. “It was a true testament to his abilities.”

Fast said winning the title was more relief than exuberance.

“Throughout the playoffs, I was so stressed about it … finally winning it and knowing it was all over and I had the championship, I had no worries at that point,.” Fast said.

In his experience, there was a level of toxicity from his competitors.

“I’m OK with toxicity, it’s more like trash talk,” Fast said. “I do it too, but I back it up.”

Fast said his biggest win of the season was his final game of the season, beating his opponent by 30 points.

Fast is also a member of this semester’s Halo team and commentary, and continuing his NBA 2K competition.

The Esports team will continue its schedule throughout this semester.