By Danielle Gadberry / Staff Writer

Some Hutchinson Community College students are getting close to graduation and have no idea what the next step is. One suggestion to help is for potential grads to attend the Computer Connections event.

Computer Connections, an event that was supposed to happen on Feb. 17, has been rescheduled for March 30.

A brutal blast of frigid weather, snow and ice caused the original event to be postponed.

Computer Connections brings in companies relevant to computer majors/degrees, so those students can see what is out there. Rather than hearing the skill sets from instructors, this gives students a chance to hear it from employers.

Five companies that are expected to attend this year are Heartland Credit Union, Mid-Kansas Coop, Lowen, Bradbury Group and Ideatek. These companies will be at HutchCC to reemphasize that there are quality jobs locally.

Your degree doesn’t always need to be taken elsewhere to earn a job or career. There are companies in Hutchinson that are hiring students fresh out of college.

The event is being held in the Recital Hall in Stringer Fine Arts Center, from 10:20 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.

This event is happening thanks to Matt Magee, HutchCC Computer Science Associate Professor, and the computer science department.

Magee said that he plans to have everything planned as it was supposed to be last time. They plan to continue with the “roundtable format” idea, allowing presenters to show what they have to offer. Though the event ends at 11:30 a.m.,  presenters will be staying until noon to answer questions, and this will allow students to ask questions one-on-one.

Magee said he was grateful that the event got pushed back, as it has allowed them more time for preparation and getting the word out to students.

He also said that he just wants people to come

“If students don’t attend these types of events, we lose the support/opportunity to do these events,” Magee said.

Students are encouraged to take advantage of the Computer Connections event, even if a student is not majoring in anything computer-related.