By Bailey Pennycuff / Co-Sports Editor

Hutchinson Community College men’s basketball player, sophomore guard Matt Mayers, has had a phenomenal season so far.

The 6-foot, 8-inch sophomore from Hastings-On-Hudson, Westchester, N.Y., is averaging 22.4 points per game, and 10.4 rebounds.

That makes Mayers the second-leading scorer in the Jayhawk Conference Division 1, and the third leading rebounder.

He’s been scoring in a plethora of ways, too. Some more startling statistics include his 69.7% from the field, and a whopping 50% from the 3-point line.

“I am humble about my performance,” Mayers said. “I just plan on keeping on working hard. It’s really a blessing to be having a season at all right now.”

Mayers has been on a tear of late. In a Feb. 17 loss at Cowley, Mayers scored 44 points, the fourth most in Blue Dragon history for a single game. In that game, he sank 15 of 20 shots and all 14 free-throw attempts.

He followed that with a 35-point effort Monday during a 102-95 win over Dodge City.

Mayers has a deep love for the game, and he considers it a large part of his life.

“Growing up, I played a little soccer and football, but basketball is something I’ve had a strong passion ever since a young age,” Mayers said. “Basketball has made me into a better individual within the team on and off the court.”

Most student-athletes could oblige with the statement that it is difficult to juggle a full scholastic load along with practice every day, and games that take up all their nights.

“My academics are important to me because college teaches me life lessons every day,” Mayers said.

After his time at HutchCC, Mayers plans to continue to play collegiate basketball.

Mayers and the other Blue Dragons will travel Saturday to Seward County to face the Saints at 8 p.m.