By Sam Bailey / Staff Writer

With finals under way, students and faculty at Hutchinson Community College are still adjusting to online classes. 

“Honestly, the idea of taking finals online is horrifying. Currently, I’m in two upper-level science classes and they have not been easy,” said Larned freshman Brooke Butler. 

Many students like Butler are also struggling with the idea of taking finals online. Classes may be starting to wind down, but that doesn’t stop students’ stress. 

Denny Stoecklein, Director of Marketing and Public Relations at HutchCC said, “Finals will certainly have a different look and feel this semester. However, students can take comfort in knowing their instructors and HutchCC want nothing more than for them to succeed. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.”

HutchCC is working to provide resources for students to have success as the semester comes to an end. 

Students can still use the library and access the abundance of resources they provide, even from their homes. 

“We have our physical library resources for those who can come in person to do research, but we also have access to millions of journal articles through our Online Databases that are still accessible for those who can’t come to campus (or don’t want to come during this time),” said Director of Rimmer Support Services Brad Fenwick. 

Students who need or want additional help with their classes can also still access tutoring services. 

“Tutoring is available, both in-person and online,” Fenwick said. “Students can drop in for help in math or writing anytime, or an appointment can be set up in any subject by contacting us at  tutors@hutchcc.edu or calling (620) 665-3449.  Math review sessions for finals will be happening in the Math Lab on Sunday, May 3.”

Taking tests online can be a major factor of stress for students, especially for those who need a proctor to complete exams.

Butler said, “I live in Larned, and the only proctors allowed for my microbiology class were in Hutchinson, Newton, or McPherson. I have to drive at least an hour and 20 minutes for a proctor. I am willing to do this, but it is hard to get other work done that day when I have to devote it to driving.”

For students who are not able to travel to access a proctor, Rimmer Learning Resource Center is now offering the service online. 

“Test proctors are available to proctor exams in person or remotely,” Fenwick said. “We can proctor exams where students take the exam on a computer in Rimmer so that we can monitor them, but we can also now proctor exams via Zoom. For this to work, students will need a computer or laptop with a webcam and microphone, and they will need to consent to sharing their screen with us during their exam. To schedule an appointment, email RLRCproctor@hutchcc.edu or call (620) 728-8125.”  

While regular classes are coming to a close, Rimmer is still offering aid to students who need help with studying, classwork, or any other questions they may have. 

This aid will also be available for classes offered in the summer.

“After finals week, Rimmer will only be open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., and tutoring services will be limited,” Fenwick said. “Once the summer session starts in June, we will stay open until 7 p.m. Monday through Thursday, we will still close at 5 p.m. on Fridays, and math and writing tutoring will start again.”

When asked what advice he has for students worried about taking online classes this summer, Stoecklein said instructors have taken multiple steps to help students through the process and students should keep the lines of communication open between them and their instructor. 

“Like many things in life, the more experience we have, the more comfortable we will get,” Stoecklein said.