Photo by Kenneth Ryan/Collegian: Department 3 Chairperson Cynthia Rapp sports her Kansas City jersey while speaking about her love and history with the Chiefs

By Emily Branson / Staff writer

For Kansas City Chiefs fans across the country, the moment they have been waiting for is finally here.

It’s been 50 years since the Chiefs have made a Super Bowl, and many fans have high hopes for their success in Super Bowl LIV, which the Chiefs will play Sunday against the San Francisco 49ers. One of those dedicated fans is Hutchinson Community College Department 3 Chairperson, Cynthia Rapp.

“I’ve waited a long time for this,” Rapp said. “I’ve waited 50 years to see them back in the Super Bowl.”

Rapp has been a fan of the Chiefs since she was in grade school. She’s miraculously put up with all of the buffooneries that the Chiefs have gone through over the last 50 years.

“I have been a fan of the Kansas City Chiefs almost as long as they’ve been the Kansas City Chiefs,” Rapp said. “I got hooked on them and followed ever since, in good times and bad times. I’m not one of those that abandons them just because they’re not having a good year.”

One of the things that is most exciting for Rapp is being able to watch the team improve throughout the years with various coaches and players.

“I’ve loved watching them grow with the different coaches that come in,” Rapp said. “It’s been fun with [head coach] Andy Reid, just him being able to build something makes me excited for the future.”

Looking forward to the future of the Chiefs can bring any range of emotions, but for Rapp, she is nothing but hopeful for their success.

“It doesn’t matter whether they win or lose,” Rapp said. “Although I do like it better when they win. Somebody has to win and somebody has to lose, that’s just part of the game. There’s always some disappointment that comes at a point when we don’t make it, but I think there’s going to be some more good years ahead for people that are Chiefs fans.”

On the day of the Super Bowl, Rapp said that she will be watching with just her dogs, as opposed to the typical watch parties that many people attend.

“I like to watch by myself,” Rapp said. “Especially in the playoffs or when their games are really important. I can yell and scream all I want to and not bother anyone else. I’m really looking forward to it. I have my own little party”

Being such a Chiefs fanatic may come as a shock to some people when they find out that Rapp isn’t even from Kansas. She grew up in the Oklahoma panhandle, but no team could catch her attention quite like the Chiefs.

“I just latched onto them as ‘my team,’” Rapp said. “I was not real crazy about the [Denver] Broncos, and they would have been the other closest team to me when I was growing up. I just gravitated over towards the Chiefs and started watching. I’ve done it ever since.”

While the Chiefs Kingdom isn’t near her hometown, it is definitely near to her heart.

“It’s in my blood and it’s been that way for a long time,” Rapp said. “It will stay that way for a long time too.”