With everything that is going on with our government, I decided it would be a good idea to finally register to vote.

Sadly, I had not been able to vote in the last presidential election, because I didn’t turn 18 until after voter registration had closed.

So I took it upon myself to register to show you fellow youngsters that it doesn’t take that long at all.

For those of you who don’t want to deal with other humans, like me, you don’t even have to leave the comfort of your home or dorm room to complete it.

One of my main reasons for not wanting to register was that I thought I would have to go to the courthouse and deal with people.

But it is as easy as picking up your phone or laptop, going online to www.kdor.ks.gov and completing the following four simple steps.

These are the steps you must complete in the online voter registration process.

1. Verify your voting eligibility.

2. Verify that you have a valid driver’s license or non-driver’s identification card.

3. Enter your personal information.

4. Review and submit your information.

The process was so simple and easy to complete it took a total of 11 minutes.

Once it was over, I honestly thought I skipped a step or that I missed something because it was that fast.

After everything was done I found myself feeling pretty proud of myself.

It doesn’t seem like a big deal to most, but it is just one of those steps to becoming an adult that everyone should really do.

Snapchat actually sent out alerts to some of its users that said “Tap to complete registration” and talks about how important it is to register even if it’s just for the preliminaries.

Now when you drag your friends down to your local voting precinct, make sure you do not take a picture of your ballet due to it being illegal.

It’s okay to be proud of yourself for actually contributing to society, just don’t photograph it.

Emily Fehrman is a Pretty Prairie sophomore studying Journalism