Tabitha Barr

Now that October is here, the fall weather has set in and cooler temperatures are falling upon us.

Most people love this type of weather because it means sweaters, warm drinks and the upcoming holidays.

Those are great and all, but a perk of cooler weather is being able to wear long pants. Which means the action of shaving my legs becomes forgotten.

My legs will look like Bigfoot’s in no time, and they will most likely stay that way unless a special situation arises.

Shaving my legs is probably something I dread the most in my life. As a woman in the United States’ society, I am supposed to be cleanly shaven at all times and should never have my body hair seen by anyone.

Well I am breaking this “rule”, as some might call it, because winter is when my feminine legs turn into manly legs. Long pants sure can make a difference in a person’s life.

Now, many guys might think this is disgusting, but let me tell you something darling, shaving my legs takes more effort than you think.

It is not just something that happens really quick and it’s over with.

If I am going to shave my legs, I am going to do a pristine job, so that it was all worth it in the end. That means I will be shaving my legs for a good hour.

Guys, can you imagine spending two or three times a week for an hour each, shaving your legs because society tells you that it’s what needs to be done?

Because I’m here to tell you that women are as hairy as men. They just have to hide it. And it’s not fun.

Something as simple as leg hair should not be such a big deal to society.

It is one of the most natural things humans have and why should only women be shamed for having it show to the public?

I know there are a lot of models who have broken through the stigma of women and body hair.

I absolutely love this, because it shows that women are human too. That we are not just objects for others to admire, but are a living being who has a body, a brain, and even more.

So if you see a girl this fall whose leg hair is a little bit, or even a lot a bit, long, don’t judge her.

Don’t tell her that it’s gross. All women do it and it is very natural!

Just go about your day, and think of how happy she is that she didn’t have to spend an hour or more taking a razor to the hair on her legs.

Colder weather means a leg shaving hiatus and I am so down for it.

Tabitha Barr is a Nickerson freshman studying Media Communications and Production