By Pablo Sanchez
Online Editor

Seth Yenni and Cade Lohrding are Hutchinson Community College students who are trying to get students involved with Student Government Association.
Lohrding is next year’s SGA president. A Lindsborg native, his major is computer science, while Yenni – next year’s vice president – is from Coldwater, and his major is political science. Both students are freshmen.
Here are Yenni’s and Lohrding’s thoughts on SGA and what they hope to accomplish during their tenure.
What made you guys want to run for SGA?
Lohrding – I would say part of it was being a part of it this year, and watching our president this year, Lane Wiens, he did great a job during SGA this year, and he’s done a lot of good for the group, for the college, and I just wanted to be a part of it and keep the good going.
Yenni – The new stuff with RASK, if you’ve heard about that, bringing positive and good stuff around campus, and those things we started and just keeping it going.
Lohrding – To try and keep what Lane is doing, he’s doing a really good job. Everyone is going to make changes, and I feel like we are going to bring positive changes, but for the most part it’s going to be a  good year, next year.
What do you plan on accomplishing in the next year?
Yenni – We actually had talked about this in our last meeting, and I was reading out of The Collegian, and how it’s talking about the Blue Dragons sporting events, and people basically don’t know about them, or the Spring Fling last week. One thing that we’ve wanted to accomplish is, next year, communication between the college and the students. We talk to a lot of students, and things like that and they don’t know what things are going on. What’s the best way social media? You know, do students even check their email? That’s one issue we want to tackle, to see how can we get better communication between a faculty and students for events, especially things that students are interested in.
Cade – After reading through the constitution a couple times, I defiantly want to make some changes in that, like Seth said, try to communicate with students better, so we can have more students participate.
What have you guys been involved in with SGA?
Cade – We help the honors kids, we help clean up around campus, this week we’re helping the Red Flag Campaign, and just yesterday we went and did arts and crafts with the kids at the daycare.
Seth – Working with other groups, governing groups, and sanctioned two new groups, Self-Sufficient and Cosmetology Club, and working with funding for those groups and other groups that need funding, especially a group who has a great community service project. SGA, we would want to help them. And if we can be a part of it too, then it’s all the better. That’s what SGA is here for, to help out with anything on campus.
Do you guys want a bigger presence here on campus?
Cade – More people involved in SGA. As soon as we had elections, there was only like six people on there, and we can have up to 22, but we only have like 10 or 12 people on SGA.
Seth – We would want more to participate. It’s not a huge time commitment.
Cade – It’s about an hour a week.
Seth – We have our meetings 4:30 (p.m.) on Tuesday, which is open to all students. You don’t have to be a part of SGA to come. If anyone is interested in running for a certain position, talk to anyone in SGA, either Kade or I. We can definitely answer any questions that you might have.
Cade – You also get a book scholarship too. It gives back if you give back.

Seth – It’s not a very difficult election process, especially in the fall, and you write a paragraph that goes on Dragon Zone.
Cade – As long as there is one person.
Seth – As long as you vote for yourself, you’ll make it.
What made you guys run for SGA?
Kade – To make a difference.
Seth – Last year, when Wiens … I’ve know him previous years before HutchCC and he had talked to me and told me about it, and I was interested in it, and I enjoyed it a lot. Lane did a lot of recruiting, and I hope next year I can do the same.