For my final column with The Collegian, I’d like to discuss my favorite form of entertainment – the theatre.
As a theatre major, one award show I look forward to the most (even more than the Oscars) is the Tonys. Now, theatre people may not watch the Tonys, but they should. The Tonys celebrate the best work in the theatre world, all with live performances that never cease to amaze and impress. This year’s ceremony is June 10, and is hosted by Sara Barellies and Josh Groban. If you’ve never watched this award show, give it a try. Here is a look at some of the shows that may come up during the ceremony:

1. “Mean Girls”: The totally fetch musical that starred Lindsay Lohan, Rachel McAdams and Tina Fey is now an even more fetch Broadway musical. With a book written by Fey herself, it is a non-stop laugh party. The music is just as infectious and is sung by a stellar cast including new Tony nominees Taylor Louderman, Grey Henson and Ashley Park. The show picked up 12 nominations (tied for the most this year) and is a top contender to take home the Tony for Best Musical. (side note: I’m rooting for them to win.)
  2. “SpongeBob Squarepants The Musical”: SpongeBob, Patrick and the whole Bikini Bottom gang make a move from under the sea to the great white way. I’ll admit, when I heard this was happening, I laughed it off and expected it to flop. However, the show has garnered critical acclaim with many praises for the cast, music and technical designs. The music has a lot of celebrity writers, including Sara Barellies, Lady Antebellum, Panic! At the Disco, David Bowie, John Legend and the Flaming Lips. Expect SpongeBob and the gang to make a splash this year.
  3. “Angels in America”: Perhaps one of the best plays of all time, “Angels in America” has returned to Broadway with leading man Andrew Garfield. After a celebrated run in England, the show made a transfer to Broadway and has provided a beautiful update to this play, which centers on the AIDS epidemic and homophobia. The show plays over seven hours long, but many people have said it was not only worth it, but an enrichment experience, too. The show was nominated for 11 Tony Awards, and is expected to take home best play revival.
  4. “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child”: That’s right, our favorite boy who lived is now playing on Broadway. The wizarding world has come to life like never before in this captivating musical following Harry Potter’s son. The show has already become one of the most successful shows in Britain and will most likely be on Broadway for quite some time. Good luck getting tickets though. Not only is it sold out, but tickets are $500, the most expensive show currently on Broadway. The show was nominated for 10 Tony Awards and will take home best play, no question.
  5. “The Bands Visit”: After a mix up, a band from Egypt is lost in Israel and bond with the locals, all while performing beautiful numbers of love and lost. This new musical is nominated for 11 Tony Awards and was an early frontrunner for best new musical.
  6. “Frozen”: Elsa freezes up Broadway in this adaptation of the Disney classic. Famous songs such as “Let It Go” and “Love Is an Open Door” have made their stage debuts along with new songs, such as a new Elsa anthem, “Monster.” But don’t forget about the infectious Ana, Olaf and Kristoph, as they all make their claim in the show. Nominated for three Tony Awards, this show is sure to melt your heart at the Tonys.

Other shows to look forward to seeing a glimpse of include revivals of “My Fair Lady”, “Carousel”, and “Once on This Island.” Don’t forget about the play categories with old favorites like “Lobby Hero” and “The Iceman Cometh”, and new plays like “The Children” and “Farinelli and the King”. Other nominated celebrities include Denzel Washington, Amy Schumer, Michael Cera and Laurie Metcalf. And don’t forget to tune into the Tony Awards June 10 on CBS affiliates.