By Lucas Barlow
Sports Editor

The four-game series against Seward County Community College wrapped up the Hutchinson Community College baseball team’s regular season.

Each team won both of their games at home, splitting the series.

Hutchinson started the series poorly in Liberal, only managing to score two runs. The Blue Dragons could only get three hits off compared to Seward County’s 11. Game one finished 8-2 in favor of the Saints.

The next game of the day was much more exciting. Both teams batted pretty well, as they each achieved double digit hits. However, it was Seward County that came out on top again, 13-10.

The next day, the teams met again, this time at Hobart-Detter Field. The Blue Dragons won an exciting first game that went into extra innings.

In the bottom of the eighth, a Seward County player committed a crucial error at third base, which led to the Blue Dragons scoring the game-winning run. With game one ending 6-5, Hutchinson used that momentum to put away Seward County in the final game of the series.

Tied after two innings, the Blue Dragons used the next five innings to bury the Saints, outscoring them 5-1.

The Blue Dragons ended the regular season at 34-19 overall and will begin postseason play today.

They face Coffeyville Community College at 2 p.m. for the opening round of the Region 6 Tournament. The best-of-three series continues at 1 p.m. Saturday at Hobart-Detter Field, and if the first games are split, the decisive game will be at 1 p.m. Sunday. The series winner advances to the double-elimination part of the tournament, which will be next week at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium in Wichita.

Lucas