By Angela Lingg

HCC Sports Information -  Nacier Jaishawn Thompson, Fountain, Colorado, holds off a defender in the 200-meter dash during the Johnson County meet on Jan. 15.
HCC Sports Information - Nacier Jaishawn Thompson, Fountain, Colorado, holds off a defender in the 200-meter dash during the Johnson County meet on Jan. 15.

The HCC track team opened up their indoor season on Jan. 15 at Johnson County Community College.

Karis Parker, Wichita, broke the school record in the 60-meter hurdles as well as qualifying for nationals with a time of 9.14 seconds.

Seven HCC women qualified for nationals.

Alex Keller, Buhler, won the women’s triple jump and also qualified for nationals.

Paige Houston, Midwest City, Oklahoma, won both the weight throw and the shot put and posted qualifying marks in both events.

Emily Baldwin, Windom, also qualified for nationals in the shot put.

Three pole-vaulters also qualified for nationals.

HCC Sports Information - Karis Parker, Wichita, jumps a hurdle at a meet on Jan. 15, setting a record time of 9.14 seconds.

The HCC men’s team qualified five men for nationals and the men won six events.

Junior Joseph, Wichita, won both the men’s weight throw and the shot put and his weight throw qualified him for nationals.

Nacier Jaishawn Thompson, Fountain, Colorado, won both the 60-meter and the 200-meter, and his time in the 60-meter qualified him for nationals.

Dallas Thompson, Madison, finished second in the weight throw and qualified for nationals.

Two hurdlers, Matt Willis, Newton, and Stein Desir, Palm Beach, Florida, qualified for nationals in the 60-meter hurdles.

The HCC track team will be back in action on Friday, Jan. 22, once again at Johnson County Community College.