By Angela Lingg

Angela Lingg/Collegian - Hunter Nance, Wichita, running during the Cowboy Jamboree meet earlier in the season on Sept. 26. Nance placed 66th with a time of 29 minutes and three seconds to help the Dragons to 7th place.

The NJCAA National Cross Country meet is often a major shock for new runners.

With a starting line packed with around 300 runners, the race is all about getting out well and beating as many people as you can.

The HCC men’s cross country team competed in the NJCAA Nationals in Fort Dodge, Iowa, on Nov. 14.

They finished in 25th place.

They were led for the first time by freshman Mark Meyer, Wichita.

Meyer finished in 80th- place with an 8k time of 27:32.

Forrest Dreyer, Salina, finished second for the men’s team with a time of 28:30.

The other runners to figure into the team score were Lorenzo Castaneda, Harlingen, Texas, 29:14, Hunter Nance, Wichita, 29:17, and Lloyd Chin, West Palm Beach, Florida, 29:33.

Iowa Central won the men’s race with a low score of 56 points.

The top Region VI team was Allen County Community College who finished in sixth-place.

HCC’s top runner, Orser Rodriquez, Harlingen, Texas, was unable to complete the race due to an injury.

The men finished lower than they had hoped for, but that is just the way things sometimes go in cross country.