By Jessie Burtnett

Jessie Burtnett/Collegian - Jordan Downing, Hutchinson, boots the ball during a corner kick, while playing Barton on Oct. 7.

The Lady Dragons improved to 6-1 in the Jayhawk conference, and 8-3 overall on Oct. 8.

The Dragons defense, consisting of Jordan Smith, Wichita, Olivia Chan, Manchester, England, Courtney Bosewell, Wichita, and Madison Pollack, Winfield, has only allowed one goal in the last four games.

The Dragons’ keeper Jennifer Currie, Longriddry, Scotland, was also named Jayhawk Conference Goalkeeper of the Week.

Curry is 5-2 on saves this season and also has a .68 average.

The Dragons kicked the game off 10 minutes into the match with a goal by Renee Gillespie, Wichita, Scoring her seventh goal of the season.

The Dragons defense kept the ball on the offensive side of the field for most of the first half, allowing Georgia Lupton to hammer in a goal just seconds before half time.

Jordan Downing, Hutchinson, the star of the second half, scored two goals.

Her first goal came after Aleise Willams, Manhattan, went down in the box and Downing converted the free kick.

Downing’s second goal was scored with eight minutes left in the game off of an assist from Sarah Feakins, Cape Coral, Florida.

The Dragons will have a key battle against rivals, Butler County, on Friday, Oct. 16.