By Lauren Rust

Shelby Horton/Collegian - Deciding which Oreo to try first, Rachel Hein, Andale, concluded during the Collegian Taste Test on Oct. 21 that the pumpkin spice flavored Oreo is better than the golden vanilla Oreo. Out of 53 students who participated, 42 of them liked pumpkin spice the best. w

Students, teachers, and staff tasted vanilla and pumpkin spice Oreos that are as addictive as cocaine on Oct. 21 in the Parker Student Union.

According to Joseph Schroeder, assistant professor at Connecticut College, in an ABC News article, cookie ingredients can be compared to cocaine.

“We found that the high-fat or high-sugar food activated the brain to a greater extent than the cocaine or morphine.”

Schroeder is referring to Oreos, the highly addictive snack that was the forefront of the taste test.

In the end, 79% of the 53 people tested at HCC preferred pumpkin spice, surprising many non-pumpkin spice lovers.

“I don’t generally like pumpkin,” said Jazmine Ray, Haven. “But the pumpkin spice is really good.”

Other students compared the pumpkin spice Oreo to other products.

“The pumpkin spice Oreo tastes like cinnamon Teddy Grahams,” said Danielle Souleret, Hutchinson.

“It tastes like a candle, but in a good way,” said Mollie Panek, Cunningham.

“It tastes like pumpkin pie,” said Cacie Stuever, Wichita.

Some liked the vanilla better. They included AJ Banks, Fort Valley, Georgia; Kristin Miller, Inman; and Darren Lewis, Wichita.

Faculty and staff joined the taste test.

“I like the pumpkin spice because it is new,” said Darrell Adams, residence hall supervisor.

“That’s like a slam-dunk,” said Terri Leroy, academic advisor at HCC.

With 79% of students in the test choosing the pumpkin spice flavor, this may be the new trend at HCC.