By Casey Jones

Taryn Gillespie/Collegian - A judge at the Kansas State Fair examines honey entries. This photo won the state fair’s People’s Choice Award.

Every year the Kansas State Fair hosts the Collegiate Photo Internship program, which includes a photo competition open to high school and college students.

They submit photos taken of events and people at the fair for the chance to win prizes, including as much as $50 in gift cards.

This year a couple of Collegian photographers gained top awards for multiple categories. Loribeth Reynolds, Hutchinson, and Taryn Gillespie, Sterling, won Best Agricultural Photo Series and Best Agricultural Photo, respectively, while beating out 17 other interns from six colleges, including Kansas State University, University of Kansas, and four other community colleges

“I captured this series just by walking into a barn at the right time,” Reynolds said. “I thought the little boy was adorable with his cattle, so I followed him with my camera into the show ring.”

On top of this, Gillespie also won the People’s Choice Award in the photo competition, indicating the best (by popular opinion) photo submitted for the internship program during the entire fair.

“Out of all the photos chosen for the People’s Choice Award, I had two photos nominated,” Gillespie said. “I chose the photo I liked the best and I shared it all over social media asking friends and family to vote for my photo.”

Gillespie was happy to have won two of the three awards, but was happy for her fellow Collegian staff member Reynolds.

“I was very happy to see that Loribeth won the best series photo. Her shots were very good,” Gillespie said.