By Bailey Terry

Bailey Terry/Collegian - Jai Chapman, Liberal, jumps up to slam the ball at her opponents during a recent home game on Sept. 28 against NMMI. Chapman ended with 15 kills.

The Lady Dragon volleyball team played Seward County in Liberal on Oct. 7 and won.

The scores were 20-25, 24-26, 25,21, 25-20, and 15-12 making their record 18-4 overall and 9-1 in the Jayhawk West Conference.

After winning this game, the Dragons are now No. 1 in the Jayhawk West Conference.

Three of the Dragons had over 10 kills in the match.

They were: Aubrey Wilson, Bennington, who ended with 15 kills, Petra Silic, Zagreb, Croatia, with 14 kills, and Jai Chapman, Liberal, had 15 kills.

After losing their first conference match on Oct. 5 after 29-consecutive wins, the Dragons weren’t playing well to start off.

The Dragons lost the first two sets, but were able to come back and win the last three sets.

During the first two sets, the Dragons weren’t able to produce anything offensively.

In the last three sets, Hutch took the lead towards the middle of each set to then pull of the wins in each set.

The Oct. 5 loss occurred at Colby.

Colby was the first Jayhawk West team to beat the Dragons since 2013, which broke a 29-game win streak.

The scores of the game were 25-19, 22-25, 21-25, and 22-25.

Hutch was led the first set 10-6 until Colby went on a 6-1 run, where they took the lead 12-11.

Then the set was tied at 18.

The Dragons then went on a 7-1 run to close the set.

The score was 25-19.

In the second set, the Dragons had errors, which resulted in 16 points for their opponents helping them take the set 22-25.

The Dragons started off the last two sets with the lead, but weren’t able to pull out a win in either set.

The Dragons lost the match 1-3.

The Dragons played school rivals Butler in El Dorado on Oct. 2 and won.

The scores were 25-21, 25-21, and 25-18.

In the Blue Dragon invitational tournament on Sept. 25 and 26, the Dragons won two matches and lost two.

They beat the New Mexico Military and Odessa College and lost to MSU-West Plains and Jefferson College.

The Dragons are scheduled to play in Missouri at the MSU-West Plains tournament on Oct. 9-10. They play Wallace State on Friday, Oct. 9 at 9 a.m.