By Angela Lingg

Angela Lingg/Collegian - Reno Farris, Cheney, running at the OSU Cowboy Jamboree on Sept. 26.

The Blue Dragon cross-country team traveled to Stillwater, Oklahoma on Sept. 26 to run in the historic Cowboy Jamboree.

Hosted by Oklahoma State University, the Jamboree is the oldest cross-country meet in the nation. It attracts several large Division I schools as well as several NAIA, DII, and junior colleges.

The HCC women ran first, at 8 a.m. but did not enter a full team. They were led by sophomore Angela Lingg, Goddard, with a 5K time of 22:15. The other women filed in close behind with Katy Spencer, Andale, 22:40, Keagan Davis, Wichita, 22:47, and Angelica Soria, Topeka, 23:25.

The men’s cross-country team had a stellar race in which the top five runners all ran season bests.

They were led by freshman Orser Rodriguez, Texas, with a time of 27:19 which was good enough for a 16th place.

Close behind was sophomore Forrest Dreyer, who finished 19th with a time of 27:21. Other runners for HCC were Mark Meyer, Wichita, 28:56, Hunter Nance, Wichita, 29:03, Tyler Blasters, Belle Plaine, 29:23, Lorenzo Castaneda, Harlingen, Texas, 30:07, Reno Farris, Cheney, 30:30, and Lloyd Chin, West Palm Beach, Florida, 30:51. The men placed seventh overall and were the third junior college.

The men’s and women’s cross-country team will be back in action Saturday, Oct. 10 at Fort Hays University.