By Shelby Horton

Dear Shelby,

Is it possible for a man to break his penis, and how can I avoid it?

Dear fearful,

Despite there being no actual bones in the penis, it is very possible to have a “penile fracture.”

According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, this is a severe form of bending an erect penis that winds up tearing a specific membrane called the tunica albuginea. This membrane is what keeps the blood in place while having an erection.

When it breaks blood leaks into the surrounding tissue causing bruising and swelling.

This can occur during intercourse if you are not penetrating in the usual location.

Having a girl on top is usually the most dangerous position for men, since the female will not know when the fracture has occurred and may continue intercourse.

A popping or cracking noise is heard as the penile fracture occurs, followed by bruising and swelling with loss of an erection.

If this occurs, doctors will have to perform an operation, usually resulting in an incision requiring 10 or more stitches. It might later result in erectile dysfunction.

Dear Shelby

Is it normal for a girl not to climax every time she has intercourse? Is something wrong with her if she doesn’t?

Dear Not so into it,

Women usually have trouble achieving climaxes and orgasms. Researchers indicated that up to 80 percent of women couldn’t reach orgasms during sex.

As you can see, it’s very normal that women don’t always achieve a climax. That problem can be caused by multiple reasons.

For example, maybe it is the woman’s mental state during sex.

If you’re more focused on a problem at work, or that you forgot to buy milk, you won’t climax during intercourse because you’re not focused on the feeling and your partner.

Also every woman is different, so in some cases where one may need one stimulus going on to climax, another women may need multiple different types of stimulus.

This is a perfectly normal occurrence, and can be solved by exploring what makes you feel good.

Also, don’t fake orgasms to please your partner. If you’re faking it they won’t learn what makes you feel good so the experience can be pleasurable for both of you.

Dear Shelby,

Let’s say someone is really shy. How should they ask for a girl’s number or a date?

Dear shy,

When asking for a girl’s number or a date, try to be as polite and considerate as possible.

You don’t want to be too aggressive or too passive. Be firm and blunt, but also be considerate about the person you’re asking out feelings.

Try to be creative or funny to help lighten the mood, a cheesy (tasteful) pickup line can go a long way. For example, “I must be Batman cause your Robin my heart.”

Also try to engage in conversation. Learn about each other before just asking them out or for their number.

If she says no, then you need to move on. Because if you’re hoping one day she’ll change her mind, it’s better to wait than to just pressure her.

Most importantly, be confident and positive, even if she says no.