By Taryn Gillespie

In a culture obsessed with being skinny, controversy comes when you talk about fat shaming.

The term fat shaming is defined as: any in-person, online, or other disparagement of people based on the fact that they are overweight.

On Sept. 5, Nicole Arbour, a Canadian You- Tuber, came out with the video “Hey Fat People.”

This video went viral and many other YouTubers came back immediately with response videos about how they feel about the term fat shaming and Arbour’s video.

Arbour was contacted by YouTube and told her video would be removed as well as her YouTube channel shut down.

After a few days, Arbour re-uploaded the video.

For me, this controversy hits home. I am not the skinny little model type, and I will never be.

I have gone through my whole life struggling with the fat jokes and being discriminated against because of my weight.

Seeing Arbour’s video made me angry. She doesn’t know the situation of each and every person who is overweight.

In the video Arbour comes out to also make fun of people using sickness and disease to justify their weight.

For me this really hits home because I recently found out I suffer from PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome).

One of the symptoms of this syndrome is weight gain. Even when controlled, my body holds fat and makes it almost impossible to lose weight.

I have embraced my size and have gotten past the fact that people look at me differently, and sometimes make rude comments toward me, because I am a little bigger than most.

If this is you, know you are not alone. There are many who also suffer from obesity or being overweight and many of them also suffer from some sort of sickness or syndrome.

Don’t get down on yourself, embrace your size and rock it.