By Sam Ojeda
Sports Editor

After three seasons at the helm of the Hutchinson Community College Men’s Basketball Team, Tommy DeSalme is heading home.

DeSalme is heading home to his alma mater to coach at Bartlesville (OK) High School according to Adam Nelson of HoopDirt.com and Brandon Goble of JUCOadvocate. DeSalme won two state titles at his old high school as a player in 1989 and 1991.

DeSalme’s career at HutchCC saw an overall record 75-27 along with a 51-21 record in KJCCC play. DeSalme had a successful 2023-2024 season. He led his team to a NJCAA at-large bid. They defeated USC Salkehatchie and Chipola on their way to the NJCAA quarterfinal where they lost to Connors State.

DeSalme’s total college coaching career saw him finish with 359 total wins over his years with Independence, Cowley, and Hutchinson. DeSalme’s teams were known for constantly wearing teams down with consistent full-court pressure and a barrage of three-pointers on offense. The Blue Dragons were consistently at the top of NJCAA rankings in points per game in every one of DeSalme’s seasons running the Blue Dragon bench. The 2022 Blue Dragons averaged 94.2 points per game, 97.2 points per game in 2023, and 86.6 points per game in 2024

The Blue Dragons had three All-Americans in DeSalme’s tenure; Angelo Stuart in 2022, Aaron Franklin in 2023 and Kamryn Thomas in 2024 were all third-team All-Americans.

From a press release from Blue Dragon Sports:

“The time spent here will always be very special to me,” DeSalme said. “The relationships I have built here in Hutchinson will last a lifetime.”

A nationwide search for the new Blue Dragon head coach will begin immediately, according to Blue Dragon Athletic Director Josh Gooch.

“A big thank-you goes out to Coach DeSalme for his three years of service to Hutchinson Community College,” Gooch said. “We wish Tommy all the best in his future endeavors.”