By Carly Thompson
Editor in Chief

The end of the school year is quickly approaching and with most winter sports coming to an end, the Hutchinson Community College Spirit Squad will be preparing for competition in Daytona, Florida. 

The Spirit Squad had two-a-day practices every day during spring break, plus any games that fell in between. Practices have been high-intensity to prepare the teams for nationals.

According to Abigail Tucker, Andale freshman, practices have consisted of a repetition of stunts and pyramids.

“We also run a bunch of full outs, which is where we do our routine exactly like we would when we compete with it so we can get our stamina up,” Tucker said.

Cora Thiel, a Whitewater sophomore, cheered throughout high school and has been a part of the Spirit Squad both years she has attended HutchCC. 

“After our first-place victory at the Region 6 cheer competition, we’re feeling hopeful for nationals and hope to give a clean routine to represent HutchCC well,” Thiel said.

With men’s basketball participating in the NJCAA Division 1 Basketball Championship, the Spirit Squad has had front-row seats to their games. 

“It’s always entertaining to be right next to the court because we can hear all of the boys’ commentary during the games,” Tucker said.

The tournament may serve as the last opportunity for some Spirit Squad members to cheer at a sporting event. However, this bittersweet ending will leave many of the members with long-lasting memories and friendships.

“I have made some of my best friends through cheer and it has been a great experience to get involved with all of the other sports and people around the community,” Thiel said. 

Nationals in Daytona, Florida will be on April 11-13.