I feel like the stereotypical college experience involves parties and drinking. You’re supposed to make new friends and have the time of your life. 

To say I’m disappointed so far is an understatement. 

Now, don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t expecting the parties. I am more of a homebody anyway. However, I feel like there’s such a huge hype for college. Sure, some people probably fit the classic party animal, all-nighters, and huge friend group stereotype. To each their own. It’s just not realistic for everyone. 

I still live at home and will be moving out next year, but if you’re not in the dorms or involved in a club or team of some sort, it can be difficult to make friends in college. For some, it can get lonely. I’m lucky enough to know some old classmates and am a part of the newspaper staff, so I’ve made a few different connections along the way. I can’t even imagine the potential struggle of going to a college from a different town or state. 

Another potential problem is finding somewhere to live, especially with the high cost of living right now. Let’s face it, the dorms aren’t for everyone. 

I work full time and am still freaking out about having enough money for rent and feeding myself next year. Most scholarships require students to be enrolled full time. So, I work full time, go to school full time as well as complete the homework, and am expected to take care of myself all while still having time for friends and family. There are simply not enough hours in the day.

College definitely has its perks, but overall, it can be a huge challenge outside the classroom too.

Carly Thompson is a Hutchinson sophomore studying psychology. She is the Collegian’s Editor In Chief.