By Mason Poepperling

The holidays are upon us. As we soak in the glory of having breaks from classes, there’s more than likely going to be some downtime between the traveling and the tryptophan induced fever dreams. To help you fill in the gaps, we’ve compiled a list of 10 tv shows and movies to watch, with hundreds of hours to spend not thinking about the awkward conversations you’re about to have with your family members. Enjoy these 10 tv show/movie recommendations straight from The Hutchinson Collegian. 

Show: “Nimona”

Streaming platform: Netflix 

Year: 2023

Seasons (or number of movies): 1

Total shows: 1

Total binge time: 1 Hour, 38 Minutes

Billed actors/actresses: Chloe Grace-Moretz, Riz Ahmed, Eugene Lee Yang

Quote from a critic: Tapping a rich emotional vein with its splendid animation and thoughtful allegory, “Nimona” is a deeply lovable animated adventure.

Why you should stream it: Only two movies I’ve ever watched have managed to make me cry. This is one of them. “Nimona” is a masterpiece of animated storytelling, evolving the medium in ways I never thought possible before. This movie was almost canceled because of Disney’s shutdown of Blue Sky studios, and I’m incredibly overjoyed that it got a second life on Netflix because everybody should see this movie.

Show: Scott Pilgrim vs The World

Streaming platform: Netflix

Year: 2010

Seasons (or number of movies): 1

Total shows: 1

Total binge time: 1 hour 52 Minutes

Billed actors/actresses: Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Keiren Culkin, Brie Larson, Chris Evens, Jason Schwartzman, Ellen Wong, Allison Pill, Brendon Routh, Anna Kendrick, Aubrey Plaza 

Quote from a critic: Edgar Wright’s Scott Pilgrim vs. The World adaptation cut its Adderall with pixie-stix…to gleeful, great success.

Why you should stream it: This movie has everything. All-Star ensemble cast? Check! Laugh-a-minute script? Bingo! Thrilling action set pieces with phenomenal fight choreography? Absolutely! A kick-ass soundtrack featuring indie rock and alternative artists Beck, Plumbtree, Broken Social Scene and Metric? In spades! Plus, on November 17th, a brand new netflix show based on the graphic novel the movie is based on, “Scott Pilgrim Takes Off”, will release, and you’ll definitely want to watch the movie before that comes out.

Show: “The Muppets Mayhem” 

Streaming platform: Disney+

Year: 2023

Seasons: 1

Total shows: 10

Total binge time: 4 hours, 56 minutes

Billed actors/actresses: Lilly Singh, Tahj Mowry, Bill Barreta, Dave Goelz, Matt Vogel, Eric Jacobson, David Rudman, Peter Linz

Quote from a critic: “The Muppets Mayhem” might be too slight to find the Rainbow Connection, but its ragtag band of plucky puppets and plethora of showbiz gags make for a solid addition to the franchise.

Why you should stream it: Finally, after seven long years of nothing, Disney has finally done something interesting with The Muppets. Following Dr. Teeth and The Electric Mayhem, the Muppets in-house band, “The Muppets Mayhem” takes the franchise in a zany, exciting, rock-and-rolling new direction that’s sure to delight Muppet fans young and old. Plus, the producers have said that if this show does well, more Muppet shows will follow, and there’s nothing wrong with more Muppets. 

Show: Only Murders In The Building 

Streaming platform: Hulu

Year: 2021 – 23

Seasons: 3

Total shows: 30

Total binge time: 16 hours, 30 minutes

Billed actors/actresses: Steve Martin, Martin Short, Selina Gomez

Quote from a critic: “Relocating the action to the theater for the third season, “Only Murders in the Building” can take a bow for yet another twisty mystery handled with a good-humored touch.

Why you should stream it: Over four decades since they first shared the screen together, Steve Martin and Martin Short still got it. Selina Gomez is also at the top of her acting game as well. A hilarious take on true crime obsession, “Only Murders In The Building” is sure to humor and thrill all who watch.

Show: Friends 

Streaming platform: HBOMax

Year: 1994

Seasons: 10

Total shows: 236

Total binge time: 86 hours, 32 minutes

Billed actors/actresses: David Schwimmer, Jennifer Anniston, Matthew Perry, Coutney Cox, Matt LeBlanc, Lisa Kudrow

Quote from a critic: “Friends” daffy situations elicit just as many eye-rolls as laughs, but this perky sitcom gets by with a little help from its immensely likable cast.

Why you should stream it: Could this be any more obvious? If you’re one of the only people on earth who have taken up residence under a large, dense collection of minerals – that is to say, live under a rock – and haven’t watched this show yet, you’re missing out on one of the most heartfelt and hilarious shows of all time that basically invented the modern sitcom as we know it today. PIVOT over to Max and watch it now.