By Sam Ojeda
Sports Editor

Saturday at Gowans Stadium was another tally in the win column and a day for the record books for the Hutchinson Community College football team.

The top-ranked Blue Dragons, from start to finish, dominated Dodge City Community College 46-10.

The special teams has been the story of the season for the Blue Dragons. Freshman Tre Richardson, who is their star returner, added to his impressive all-purpose yard total with 112 against the Conquistadors.

Special teams broke two school records during the game. Sophomore Nestus Burger broke the school record for longest field goal made at 50 yards. Fellow sophomore kicker Cole Segraves broke the school record for most career field goals at 20.

Blue Dragon coach Drew Dallas was glad to see his kickers set the records.

“They have been pushing each other and making each other better the whole season,” Dallas said.

When speaking on Burger he added that he has a very strong leg.

“On that long field goal attempt, we trusted that leg and we saw him go in there and make it,” Dallas said.

Quarterback Jake Parker got this start this week for the banged-up starter Samari Collier. Parker, a Georgia native, did a good job in his second collegiate start. He was 11 for 25 through the air for 156 yards passing with one touchdown and one interception.

He added 30 yards on the ground.

Dallas said he was happy with the spot start quarterback.

“I thought he played pretty well but obviously there are things we will continue to work on,” Dallas said. “Getting him those reps in a big time game is extremely important and that is great to see.”

Dallas said he was confident in his quarterback room, no matter who was playing.

“I feel like we can win with either of those guys.” Dallas said.

The Blue Dragons head into the bye week with the same idea they have had all season. Their goal is to go 1-0 every single week, and while it is hard to go 1-0 in a bye week Dallas and his team will try to find a way. Following the bye week HutchCC will take on Garden City at home on Oct. 21.

Garden City is 3-4 on the season.