By Lynn Spahr / Staff writer

Recently, The Hutchinson Collegian staff attended the Kansas Collegiate Media Conference and Convention, which included the annual awards ceremony, at the Drury Inn in Wichita.

The ceremony took place over two days, and speakers covering a wide range of topics were available to attendants. The awards were a chance for collegiate journalists from across the state to connect with each other and possibly professionals.

The Collegian received 49 total awards, a record in recent years. One of these awards was the All Kansas Award for two-year newspapers, which is give to the top publications in various divisions across the state. It’s the first time in at least seven years The Collegian has won the All Kansas Award for two-year college newspapers.

Two staff members, Ainsley Trunkhill and Laci Sutton, were awarded first and second place Journalist of the Year awards, respectively.

Trunkhill, a Hutchinson sophomore and the Collegian’s Managing Editor of Content, was “Happy with the results, not just as an individual, but with the group as a whole. Everyone did an amazing job and should be equally proud of the work that they created.”

The 46 remaining awards were individual, spread across a variety of categories. These range from column writing to page design.

Views: 290