By Lizzie Kipp / Staff writer

Whether it’s alone, with friends, or with a significant other, looking at Christmas lights is one of the best ways to get into the holiday spirit. Most people know about the Botanica Gardens lights in Wichita, but what about holiday lights in good old Hutchinson?

Here are a few amazing, in-town light displays that are worth checking out this holiday season:

Lights on Pennington Road (2109 Pennington Rd) is one of the most popular displays in Hutch. It’s a drive-through light display that is often described as a “wonderland.” It’s kind of a drive, as Pennington Road is toward the Nickerson area and right off Nickerson Road, but it is so worth it. The display has been going for many years and contains a lot of new lights and add-ons this year. A radio station is also available to tune in to (106.7 FM every night from 5:30 p.m. to 11 p.m.) to get some added Christmas cheer in the form of music. It truly is an amazing show.

The annual Christmas Luminaries (Hyde Park, between Main and Monroe streets, and 18th and 23rd avenues) takes place on December 17 from 6 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. This year marks the 39th year anniversary of the holiday tradition. The event features over 14,000 luminaries as well as free cookies and apple cider. There are also many different activities, including horse drawn carriage rides and a visit from Santa Claus. The event also features music performances by different choirs as well as people who live in the neighborhood.

Yuletide Lane (West 14th, 15th Street, and Hendricks) is another light show that’s worth visiting. It’s an entire neighborhood of beautiful lights available to see on Dec. 16 and 17 this year. Rumor has it they purchased a special new mystery item this year. The organization also accepts donations for the Christian Soup Ministry and the Children’s Mercy Hospital. But don’t forget to keep a lookout for Santa Claus and the Grinch, as they make an appearance nearly every year.

The Lights at 1022 East Sherman (Sherman and K-61) is another underrated Christmas light gem that you can actually see from the highway. It’s a bit of a drive on a tough road to see it up close, but it is definitely worth it. Their winter wonderland features a candy cane forest and a lifesize Santa, Mrs. Claus, reindeer, and workshop. They will also be featuring talking Christmas trees this year for the first time. The display is currently up and running, and will be available to visit until January 1.

Last but not least, Holiday Melodies at the North Pole (819 N Plum). It’s exactly how it sounds – lights flashing in sync with holiday music. Starting Dec. 1, they play a different playlist every night and have a new display every year. Even if it’s just driving by with windows rolled down, it’s definitely worth checking out.

One thought on “Christmas holiday light spectacular in Hutchinson

1. Bob says:

You didn’t mention 1005 East 20th, the computer animated light show to music.