By Aubreigh Heck
Co-Sports Editor

Sophomore Louise Cocking scored 20 points at the Region 6 championship at the Pittsburg State Plaster Center last Saturday. 

Cocking won the 3,000 meters, running a time of 10 minutes, 39.84 seconds, winning with a margin of 4.25 seconds.

Cocking also ran in the mile, where she was a runner-up. She ran a 5:19.22 time, setting a Hutchinson Community College record.

Sophomore Noel Buckhaltz also competed in two events on Saturday. She placed fourth in the 1,000 meters, with a personal record time of 3:14:06. Buckhaltz placed fifth in the mile, with a time of 5:25.72. 

Plaster Center will host the Blue Dragons again in two weeks for the 2022 NJCAA Indoor Championships.

Men’s Track and Field – Davion Gardenhire, Jovan Jackson, Cleydterrious Thompson and Sharim Hamilton helped the Blue Dragons earn their first national qualifier last Saturday at the Pittsburg State Plaster Center. 

The four of them placed sixth in the 1,600 relay, with a time of 3:19.0.

Hamilton participated in the 400 meters as well, finishing at a time of 48.99 seconds. 

With a time of 6.87 seconds, Thompson finished seventh in the 60 meters.

Softball – When the Blue Dragons swept North Central Texas, they capped off a 3-1 weekend. Compared to last year’s record of 0-4, the Blue Dragons did much better againstMurray State College and NCTC.

The Blue Dragons won game one of the doubleheader against North Central Texas 6-5, and proceeded to win the second game 14-1 in five innings in Gainesville, Texas.

Game one was a come-from-behind win for the Blue Dragons, when Natalie Bevan brought Ella Doughtry home with a groundout to first to tie the game 5-5 in the fifth. Then, Easton Swanson singled to left field, driving home the winning run when Haley Miller scored. Pitcher Riley Wertz recorded her fifth win, with four strikeouts.

In game two, NCTC kept the game close until the Blue Dragons erupted for four runs in the top of the fourth inning, then scored seven runs in the fifth. Riley Wertz hit a three-run home run, and pitched an inning with two strikeouts. 

The Blue Dragons had their games on Feb. 25 against Cloud County canceled, and they will play again on March 2 against Colby at home.

The Blue Dragons are 7-3 on the season.

Photos courtesy HutchCC sports information

Baseball – Rose State felt the wrath of an angry Blue Dragons team, when the Blue Dragons exploded to defeat them 17-0 and 14-2 on Feb. 19 at Midwest City, Okla.

The day prior, Feb. 18, the Raiders defeated the Blue Dragons 7-2. The Blue Dragons used the next two games to avenge that loss, outscoring Rose State 31-2 total.

Game one of the doubleheader started quickly for the Blue Dragons, when they scored four runs in the first and 10 in the second. Blue Dragon Ben McLaughlin drove home a team high four runs, and went 3 for 4 with one walk and a home run.

Pitcher Chase Torkelson recorded the win for HutchCC and recorded six strikeouts, pitching 3.0 innings. Ben Dandelet also pitched for two innings and recorded two strikeouts. 

In game two, the Blue Dragons recorded five runs in the second inning, with another strong performance from McLaughlin with four RBIs, going 3 for 5 with another walk. Pitcher Jack Whitlock recorded the win with one run allowed, and two strikeouts.

The Blue Dragons are scheduled to play again Feb. 25 against Frank Phillips in Waco, Texas, hoping to improve their 4-2 record.

Women’s Basketball – The Blue Dragons were finally able to beat the Butler Grizzlies 65-58 Feb. 18 in El Dorado, recording their fourth-straight road win. 

Mya Williams and Tor’e Alford played a game high 36 minutes, scoring 14 and 11 points respectively. 

Mele Kailahi scored 21 of the Blue Dragons points, making eight field goals 10, and making all five free throws. Kailahi was also able to grab nine rebounds, the most of the Blue Dragons.

The Blue Dragons played their last regular season game Wednesday, where they defeated Garden City with a strong performance from Williams.

Their regular season record ends at 25-5 and 19-5 in KJCCC play. They are the co-champions of the conference, sharing the crown with Independence. 

The Blue Dragons will play again against Cloud County or Dodge City on 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Sports Arena in the Region 6 quarterfinals. 

Men’s Basketball – The No.19 Blue Dragons dropped their game against Pratt Community College 112-100 at Pratt on Feb. 21. 

Starter Angelo Stuart finished the game with 23 points, four rebounds and four assists.

The Blue Dragons gave up 55.6% shooting against the Beavers, while shooting 39.1% themselves. 

The game on Feb. 21 was only the second time all season the Blue Dragons lost to a team below the .500 mark.

Following their final regular season game where Jaquez Yow helped take the Blue Dragons to a 120-113 OT win against Garden City on Wednesday, the Blue Dragons finished their regular season 23-7, and 17-7 in KJCCC play.

The Blue Dragons will play at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday against Pratt or Barton at the Sports Arena in the Region 6 quarterfinals.