By Braedon Martin / Staff Writer

People in many societies are obsessed with justice, be it through punishing criminals who got away, or proving the innocence of others. The story of Amanda Knox is one that fascinates many for that exact reason.

As the final speaker for the 2021 Dillon Lecture Series, Knox is a journalist, author and exoneree. From 2007 to 2015, Knox was imprisoned in Italy for four years, and eight years being tried for a murder she did not commit. She made international headlines for the better part of a decade, was vilified in the press, and shamed for the controversy her case created.

Knox now dedicates herself to educate people on the problems of wrongful conviction, truth-seeking, and public shaming. Her writing can be found in “Marie Claire”, USA Today, The Los Angeles Times, The Seattle Times, and her book “Waiting to Be Heard”.

Knox’s writing and speaking hits hard against wrongful conviction, public shaming, and the frequent imperfection of truth-seekers. Her own experience allows her personal connection to the issues of controversy-hungry tabloid culture, as well as rampant misogyny. She speaks out against “fake news” and misinformation, and our society’s increasing lack of empathy.

If you want more of Amanda Knox’s story, she has a previously mentioned book (“Waiting to Be Heard”) as well as a Netflix Documentary titled “Amanda Knox”.

The conclusion of the 2021 Dillon Lecture Series will be at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at the Hutchinson Sports Arena.