By Aubreigh Heck
Online Editor

The Hutchinson Community College’s women’s soccer team ended Wednesday’s game against Barton Community College in a draw.

Hutch outshot Barton 20-15, but both keepers earned a shutout due to stellar defending. HutchCC goalkeeper Olivia Felix-Cardona earned her third shutout of her freshman season.

Blue Dragons coach Sammy Lane saw this game as, “Two decent teams playing, I mean, they’re top of the league, 16th in the nation,” Lane said. “We hit the crossbar and we missed the penalty kick. This is a game we should have won, but I thought we tried as hard as we could.”

Barton is 10-2-1 overall and 7-2-1 in the Jayhawk Conference this season, and is second in the Western division. HutchCC is just below, with the Blue Dragons’ season record at 5-4-1 overall, and 4-4-1 in the Jayhawk Conference.

Hadlie Lowe, a freshman from Wichita, did not let her team’s efforts go unnoticed.

“I think we played hard,” Lowe said. “I think we keep starting a little bit slow, but then we really pick it up. We’ve really stepped up since we first played Barton so I’m really proud of us.”

The previous time the Blue Dragons faced Barton, they were defeated 2-1 after Barton scored on a free kick.

“I’m really proud of the impact we’ve made on all these teams who expected us to be bad after our start,” Lowe said, “I’m just proud. We worked hard, I’m proud of all the girls. We didn’t give up.”

HutchCC’s most recent scoreless game occurred in the 2014-2015 season against Allen County, and the Blue Dragons went on to win the next eleven games.

The Blue Dragons defeated Kansas City Kansas Community College on Saturday 3-2, leaving them with only three games left this season.