By Joel Muhs / Staff Writer

Basketball is often described as a game of runs, however, it’s the consistency that has driven the Hutchinson Community College women’s basketball team to an 8-2 record. During that stretch, HutchCC has enjoyed consistent performances out of sophomore forward Kate Ogle.

Born in Baldwin City, Ogle attended Baldwin High School before heading off to Highland Community College. After a quick stop at Highland, Ogle decided to transfer to HutchCC, where her sister, Abby Ogle, played for two years, from 2018-2020.

“I chose HutchCC because I was already comfortable with the program, given that I went to all of Abby’s games my senior year of high school,” Ogle said. “So I had conversations with several people in the program.”

Every team needs a player they can rely on, and Ogle appears to be one of those players for the Blue Dragons. Although her numbers aren’t flashy, Ogle is averaging 9 ppg, 6.3 rebounds, and 1.4 assists per game this season. Ogle also shoots 41% from the field and cans 44% of her shots from 3-point range, which included a 5-for-5 night from 3-point land in the Blue Dragons season-opening victory against the Bethany College junior varsity.

Ogle also had a consistent mindset when asked about the ultimate goal for the Blue Dragons.

“As a team, we’re trying to take one game at a time, and hopefully that will lead us to a couple of titles in the future,” Ogle said.

And although Ogle started her college career at Highland, she is happy about her transfer decision.

“I love Hutch and the people here. My coaches are great and I have a great relationship with my team,” Ogle said.

With Covid-19 lingering around longer than many would like, athletes continue the grind that has a lot more to do than just the sport they play. New ways to keep themselves occupied are welcome now more than ever, but Ogle has a few things that she relies on.

“Outside of basketball, I like to paint with my friends or do puzzles and watch movies,” Ogle said. “We’ve had to get a little creative since Covid has limited our social interactions.”

Although every team will inevitably go through its ups and downs in a season, it’s the consistency that separates the good teams from the great ones, and Ogle is a big part of the consistent success of the Blue Dragons women’s basketball team.