By Adam Kolb / Co- Sports editor

The Hutchinson Community College men’s basketball team took down the Allen Community College Red Devils on Saturday night at the Sports Arena by a score of 80-62.

The Red Devils started the game on a quick 10-2 run, but the Blue Dragons didn’t let the game get away from them, and had the game tied at 31 with 3 minutes left in the first half.

The score at halftime was 37-34, a three point advantage for the Blue Dragons. Matt Mayers and Majok Kuath both had eight points in the first half, which led the Blue Dragons in scoring. 

The second half was the turning point. Hutchinson outscored Allen 43-28, and at one point held a 23-point lead.

The Blue Dragons only shot one 3-pointer the entire game, missing it

What they lacked in a 3-point presence, they made up for in points in the paint. They outscored Allen 46-18 in points in the paint. The Blue Dragons had solid scoring all around with Stephan Gabriel leading the way with 20 points. He also added eight rebounds and two steals. Mayers finished with a double-double, scoring 19 points and grabbing 14 rebounds. Kuath had 14 points, and Isiah Bujdoso chipped in with nine points.

The Blue Dragons shot 55.8 percent for the game, compared to Allen’s 32.3 percent.

Women’s basketball – Tor’e Alford sank a season-high five 3-pointers and Lojong Gore posted a double-double as the No. 17-ranked women’s basketball team turned a huge first quarter into a Jayhawk Conference victory over the Allen Red Devils.

Hutchinson put together its second-longest scoring run of the season in the first quarter to break the game open and roll to an 80-49 win. Alford finished with a season-high 19 points to lead the Blue Dragons. She added five rebounds, four steals and four assists.

Gore earned her second double-double of the season and third of her career with 13 points and 10 rebounds, while also having a career-high six steals.

The Blue Dragons shot 40.3 percent for the game, going 11 of 28 from 3-point range and 7 of 13 from the free-throw line.

Defensively, Hutchinson held Allen to 34 percent shooting, and had a season-high 23 steals. The Red Devils turned the ball over 32 times.

The Blue Dragons are now 32-3 all-time against Allen and have now won eight straight against the Red Devils. Hutchinson improves to 5-2 overall and 4-2 in the Jayhawk West. The Blue Dragons will travel to play the Cowley Tigers on Wednesday in Arkansas City.