By Bailey Pennycuff / Co-Sports Editor

At 5:30 p.m. Sunday, the Kansas City Chiefs and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will appear on almost every television in America.

The six-time Super Bowl champion quarterback from Tampa Bay, Tom Brady, will face the reigning champ from Kansas City, and the upcoming legend, quarterback, Patrick Mahomes in Super Bowl 55.

Mahomes, who has been the Chiefs’ starter for three seasons, has already won a NFL MVP award, and was named MVP of last year’s Super Bowl.

What do the Hutchinson Community College quarterbacks think of Mahomes, arguably the NFL’s biggest star?

“Patrick Mahomes is going to be one of the greatest QBs to play the game and I think the Chiefs went in the right direction with picking him as their franchise QB,” Blue Dragons freshman quarterback CJ Ogbonna said.

Mahomes has a unique amount of talent, and he has used that talent to carry Kansas City on their road to the championship.

“I think Patrick Mahomes is so talented because he brings something different to the game. He is a special type of player who makes the game look fun to watch. He makes unbelievable passes that other QBs wouldn’t think about trying in a game, and he does it with ease,” Ogbonna said. “He has a certain swag that makes his team go hard, and I try and play with swag. I just like to bring something different to the table.”

Not only is Mahomes a savvy quarterback, but he is an outstanding model for people in general. 

“Off the field, he’s a great guy. He gives back to his community, and also, I know this because him and my older blood brother share the same football agent,” Blue Dragons sophomore quarterback Manny Mukuamu said.

Neither Ogbonna nor Mukuamu are Chiefs fans. However, even though they do not root for the Chiefs, they both share an admiration for Mahomes.

On the other hand, Mahomes has never, and will never, win a game by himself.

“I think it is very important that you have other stars on the team who are good on and off the field. Teammates like (Kansas City tight end) Travis Kelce – who was nominated for the NFL Man of the Year award – I think he brings the team together, and when they know someone on their team is doing good it helps them to do good. Those other players on the Chiefs are good too and help them to be where they are at now,” Ogbonna said.