By Brooke Greene / Staff Writer

With ever-wavering concerns of the public’s health and safety from the Covid-19 pandemic, Halloween was possibly a risk for our society this year.

While Halloween is fun, rebellious, and exciting, which is exactly what most are craving during these uncertain times, it may prove to show a spike in Covid cases.

There were two major arguments when it comes to this pandemic-ridden holiday. The first being that Halloween is perfectly safe, considering similar acts like getting food from fast-food restaurants are allowed, and the persistent use of masks in costumes add additional safety. It is as if Halloween was the same as every other day. The second argument being that Halloween caused hazardous behaviors and gatherings such as parties and crowded streets who are only half wearing their masks.

Surely the truth will show in a matter of weeks as more people contract the virus from the festivities, or if it was handled safely enough to keep the number of cases stable.

Students on Hutchinson Community College’s campus have expressed their beliefs last weekend with varying opinions.

“Halloween was pretty boring for me this year. I dressed up as Jake from State Farm because my name is Jake,” said Jake Winchester, Hutchinson sophomore. “I felt Halloween went OK, but I saw a lot of college kids ignoring the whole pandemic, but I don’t feel it was unsafe for kids. We are required to wear masks anyway, so why not let your kids have a little fun with it?”

Many college kids and families ditched their precautions over the weekend and accepted the risk, however.

“For Halloween, I went to a party,” said Makenzie Miller, Wichita sophomore. “I was piglet for my nephew’s birthday, and then I was an angel for the party that I went to. I feel like Halloween was the same way that it is every year. I don’t think it was unsafe for kids to go trick-or-treating because they were already outside in the first place, and if people didn’t want to give out the candy, they could’ve just left the front light off.

“I think Covid has been exaggerated by the government and by the media, so I’m not too worried about it. I don’t think Halloween had anything to do with it, and I feel like Covid isn’t going to be a thing after November.”

With the presidential election past us, many are growing anxious to see what will come of our country in the months to come as this year has been drastically unique. However, Halloween was a brief and overdue escape from the stresses during this pandemic. With parties, trick-or-treating, crazy costumes, and family fun, society came back together for a glimpse of normality.