By Tabitha Barr / Editor in Chief

On Sunday, Hutchinson Community College announced that it will be suspending face-to-face classes starting Monday due to the coronavirus, or Covid-19. The Kansas State Department of Education issued a statement saying that they recommend Kansas schools to not have face-to-face classes.

Students taking class on the main campus, and any other off-campus building, will have an extended spring break, but all online classes are still scheduled as normal. HutchCC will discuss with its staff and faculty what direction they want to take with classes in the future. Decisions made will depend on the current situation of the coronavirus precautions set up.

The college will still have the residence halls open the week of March 16 through 20 and provide those students the mandatory services they need. HutchCC urged students to return home if possible during this extended spring break.

As of Sunday, if students had already been approved to remain on campus during spring break, they are still permitted to stay. However, on Monday, dorm students received emails encouraging them to move out by Friday. An updated email sent Monday afternoon said, “HutchCC Housing students will be available to officially check out the week of March 16, 2020. You are not required to move out; we are only making this opportunity available to you.”

Students in an Associate of Applied Science field, such as Fire Science, Welding, Cosmetology, etc., as well as students who do not have a computer or internet at their home, and international students were encouraged to stay if needed. Any other student who does not fall under those categories who feels they need to stay in the dorms can email ResHall@hutchcc.edu.

Students who are traveling for spring break are encouraged to follow the set rules and guidelines by the Kansas Department of Health and Environment. 

HutchCC counseling services are dependent on the licensed staff members. Students will need to contact them and go from there.Any questions regarding the suspension of face-to-face classes and anything else during this time can be directed to a student’s supervisor or HutchCC’s email at info@hutchcc.edu. Any updates of the situation will be posted to DragonZone inboxes and HutchCC social media platforms.