Our View

Rainbows were first explained in 1637 by René Descartes, who realized they were caused by light from the sun being split into different colors by moisture in the air. They are seen as a symbol of beauty during a rainstorm. The tale of gold at the end of the rainbow follows those of leprechauns and fairy tales.

Nowadays, it is seen as a symbol of pride for the LGBTQ+ community. It’s a symbol of freedom, a symbol for love, a symbol for life.

But when did the rainbow become something people now discriminate?

Last week, word spread of a teenage girl being expelled from her Christian high school because of a photo of her wearing a rainbow shirt celebrating her birthday with a “rainbow” cake. Whitefield Academy, a private Christian school in Louisville, Kentucky, claimed that the picture went against the school’s “philosophy” and “beliefs.”

Now tell us if we’re wrong, but rainbows don’t have one specific meaning, right? And even if they did, is that enough to expel a teenager over?

According to The Washington Post, the school has a set rule saying, “All parents who enroll their children in our private school know upfront that we ask the students to adhere to a lifestyle informed by our Christian beliefs.”

The way the school handled this is wrong in so many ways, discriminating a community to the point where they’re not only getting backlash from the community but the entire world. It was trending on Twitter and brought attention to the school, most of it bad publicity.

We understand that private schools have their own set of rules because they are privately funded. However, discriminating against someone for wearing and celebrating with a rainbow is not a good enough reason to expel them.

They cited her actions being “unchristian-like” but who determines what that is? The Christain Bible can be interpreted in many different ways.

For a religion that wants to spread love and help people in their biblical ways, they sure are hypocritical against their own rules.

Can we not just let people live their own lives? We’re all here for a reason, who says one way is the only way? We are a diverse world, hate is not welcome here.