By; Shea Hubbs

According to Teen Safe, in 2015, 391,000 injuries were caused by distracted-driving related accidents. The Department of Motor Vehicles says nine people in the U.S. are killed each day as a result of crashes involving a distracted driver.

People ages 16-19 are three times more likely to to be involved in an accident caused by distractions. This means texting, loud music, lack of focus, or even just carelessness. AAA says that about 46 percent of teens admit to texting and driving. Though, this doesn’t account for the teens who won’t admit to the act. A poll done by the Collegian might have shown just that.

The National Safety Council states that over 1.6 million crashes are caused by phones every year. With today’s technology, it’s easy to be distracted while driving. Though, it’s possible to still be in accidents without using a phone. Messing with the radio, zoning out, loud passengers can all cause distractions and end in accidents.

Josh Matchett, Nickerson freshman, said that his main distraction when driving is his phone, yet he isn’t bothered by this. Teens have almost become desensitized to how dangerous this really can be.

The time it takes to look at your phone is just enough time for a car to stop in front of you or a light to change. No text, no tweet, or SnapChat is worth a life.

It’s easy to make excuses. It’s one text, I’m just changing the song, no one else is on the road. Driving is unpredictable, anything can happen. Animal could run from the side of the rode, a child could go to chase a ball, another driver could be inhibited or a number of other things that could go wrong when driving. You are responsible for your actions. Driving is a privilege not a right. Even though there’s no way to stop everyone from neglecting their focus, it can start with one person.

If being safe isn’t your top concern, how about your money? According to Driving Laws, the average texting and driving ticket cost anywhere from “$20-$400” and up to four points on your driving record. And to be honest, most of young adults don’t have that kind of money that they can risk getting a ticket.

Once you get onto the road you are responsible for your life and everyone around you. Whether it’s one text or just changing a song, anytime you take your eyes off the road is endangering someone else’s life. Some accidents are unavoidable especially if it’s caused by someone other than you, but that doesn’t mean you should stop practicing safe driving. Buckle up, and turn off the   cell phone. No text is worth a life.

Results of non-scientific poll taken by The Collegian, answered by 254 HutchCC students and staff:

1. Do you text and drive? No – 64.6 percent. Yes – 35-4 percent
  2. Do you listen to loud music and drive? Yes – 67.6 percent. No – 32.3 percent.
  3. How many tickets have you received in the last two years? 0 – 78.7 percent. 1-3 – 18.9 percent. 4-6 – 2 percent. 7 or more, 0.4 percent.
  4. Do you get road rage? Every now and then – 63.8 percent. Never – 26.8 percent. All the time – 9.4 percent.
  5. Do you actually stop at stop signs? 84.6 percent – I stop completely. 15.4 percent – I slow down but don’t stop if I don’t have to.