By Amanda Carney
Co-Sports Editor

The Hutchison Community College men’s basketball team had another win over Hesston College 103-83.

This was the Blue Dragons final non-conference game, played Saturday at the Sports Arena. They shot just over 60 percent for the game. The Blue Dragons improved to 9-0 overall.

For most of the game, Hesston stayed close to the Blue Dragons. With 13 minutes, 10 seconds remaining, Hesston’s Cal Hartley shot and made a 3-pointe, and Hesston trailied 70-58. The Blue Dragons then went on run, tightening up defensively and pounding the ball in the paint.

Hutch went 2 of 10 from the 3-point range and 23 of 30 from the free-throw line, with a total of 21 turnovers.

Women’s basketball – The No. 13 Hutchinson Community College women’s basketball had an easy win Saturday at the Sports Arena against the Hesston Larks, winning 92-48.

The Blue Dragons forced 19 first-half turnovers, scoring 27 points off of turnovers.

Hutchinson shot just over 42 percent for the nigh, including 2 of 13 from the 3-point range and 8 of 11 from the free-throw line.

The Blue Dragons also outrebounded the Larks 56-29.

This was the last non-conference game for the Blue Dragons.

Salt City Bowl – The No.13-ranked HutchCC football team will face the Navarro Bulldogs in the 10th annual Salt City Bowl on Saturday at Gowans Stadium.

This will be the Blue Dragons’ 21st bowl game appearance and Navarro’s 20th bowl appearance but first since 2013.

The Blue Dragons and Bulldogs have only meet twice before, and Navarro have won both times. The first time these teams have meet was part of the Jayhawk Conference- Texas Conference challenge. Navarro win 54-34 at Corsicana, Texas. The Bulldogs also won the second time 41-16 at Gowans Stadium in 2013.

Football awards – Hutchinson Community College freshman linebacker Monty Montgomery, from Grayson, Georgia, was named the 2018 Jayhawk Conference Defensive Player of the Year. Along with him 23 other Blue Dragons, he earned all-Jayhawk Conference football honors for 2018.

Five Blue Dragons were named first team and six were named second team followed by 11 honorable mention statuses.

Montgomery lead the way for the Blue Dragons in tackles with 79. Forty-two of those were unassisted tackles, with 15 tackles for loss, five quarterback sacks, three interceptions, two fumble recoveries, three forced fumbles and four quarterback hurries. Montgomery also had three defensive touchdowns this season.

Views: 315