By Emily Fehrman
Social Media Editor

The Hutchinson Community College Fine Arts Department is collaborating its Theatre and Concert Chorale to present the Ye Olde Madrigal Feaste. It started Thursday, and goes through Saturday.

Everything begins at 7:30 p.m. in the Waldo Auditorium of Lockman Hall.

Deidre Ensz-Mattox, Theatre/Speech Instructor and Director of Theatre at HutchCC, shares some insight as to what the evening would have in store for those who go.

“Ye Olde Madrigal Feaste isn’t really about anything,” Ensz-Mattox said. “It’s not a plot-based play. It’s an experience. The performance is set in old England in a grand hall complete with king and queen, court jesters, lord and ladies. Audience members will be encouraged to engage with performers and participate in a medieval style Christmas celebration.”

The choir, with direction of Neal Allsup, Director of Choral Activities, will be performing ceremonial music, Christmas carols and madrigals.

The theatre members will be doing a comedic play as well as improvisational theatrics. The cast consists of fanfare trumpeters, the court jester, butler and wenches. All costumes are to be authentic reproductions of period apparel.

General admission seating, with dinner, is $20. Employee and students tickets are $10.

The meal is a four-course meal complete with wassail, salad, main course (chicken), and traditional bread pudding.

A side note for those who might not know what wassail is; a beverage of hot mulled cider, drank traditionally as an integral part of wassailing, a Medieval Christmastide English drinking ritual intended to ensure a good cider apple harvest the following year.

The event should last about 90 minutes.

If you go

What: Ye Olde Madrigal Feaste

Where: Waldo Auditorium, Lockman Hall

When: 7:30 p.m. today and Saturday

Tickets: $20 general admission, $20 for HutchCC employees and students. Includes a four-course dinner.