By Amanda Carney
Co-Sports Editor

It’s week nine for the Hutchinson Community College football team, and one it’s one of the biggest weeks for the Blue Dragons.

The No. 4-ranked Blue Dragons will face No. 2 ranked Garden City at noon at Gowans Stadium, one of the biggest games of the season.

Growing up, sophomore, Dezmon Jackson, from El Dorado, Arkansas, went to a small 2A high school, Parker’s Chapel, playing running back on offense and linebacker on defense. Jackson then came to Hutchinson Community College, where he has made a name for himself.

Jackson received his third straight Jayhawk Conference Football Offensive Player of the Week award. Jackson has had four straight games with at least 100 yards and six games with at least one touchdown.

“My last couple of game has been great,” Jackson said. “I’ve had four to five straight 100-plus-yard games so I’m just trying to keep my head on steady and improve my game every week.”

As a sophomore, Jackson has doubled his stats from the 2017 football year, and has a total of 10 touchdowns for the season already.

“I’ve developed so much that I amaze myself,” Jackson said. “I just changed my whole mindset, being that I didn’t play as much I think I should have last year. So, I was just itching to get back out there and every game and that has helped me this year.”

Jackson also has another motivation – New Orleans Saints running back, Alvin Kamara. Kamara is a pervious HutchCC football player.

“It’s a motivation to me mainly because we played the same position,” Jackson said. “So, when I put it into perspective it just drives me to know I can make it out of here.”

Jackson is currently undecided what school he will be attending next year but plans on narrowing down the list soon.

“I have offers to choose from and I plan on narrowing the list by November,” Jackson said.