For those of you who do not pay attention to recent events or don’t get into politics, Nov. 6 is Election Day this year.

Voting is extremely important, because that is how we choose our leaders. Selecting a candidate isn’t just affiliating with your party. It is deciding who fits the bill the best.

You should take voting very serious and research the candidates without bias. That way, you can decide which person is the best to you. Don’t let your peers, family members or anyone else dictate who you choose. It is your vote and no one should change your mind.

Some people don’t vote just because they don’t believe that their candidate will win or that their vote doesn’t matter. That is far from the truth. Each individual vote counts.

Take the Kevin Costner movie “Swing Vote” for instance. He is a pretty crappy dad when he forgets his daughter at school to drink and he ends up missing the election. So his daughter decides to sneak in and vote for him and the computer malfunctions, making his vote unfinished. This ends up being the tie-breaking vote for the whole country.

Any way, the point is that every vote counts for your state and county. If you aren’t voting when you are legally able, don’t be upset with the candidate elected if you aren’t in favor of them because you didn’t do your part, or help the others who voted for the same candidate you would have.

According to fairvote.org, about 60 percent of Americans vote during the presidential election years and 40 percent of Americans vote during the midterm election years. The statistics are even lower for local elections. So go out, take American responsibility and vote.