Growing up, everyone finds a person to look up to. For most up us, it’s our parents, grandparents or friends. But the physical people in our lives aren’t the only inspiration that influence our personality. There are tons of movie and TV characters of empowering women who can brave the big bad world. They have especially influenced me and my view upon how to handle myself. Here are my top three favorite movies/shows with kickbutt women that inspire me.

“Charmed”

The first is a show that I used to watch as a little girl with my mom. She would watch it in the early mornings before school and would sometimes let me watch along with her. It is a show about three sisters who find out they’re witches, and end up saving the world on multiple occasions.

Yes, it is a fictional story about witches, but they go through life’s struggles like any of us ‘normal’ humans do. I personally related more to the character Piper because she was the quieter one of the sisters, but always had an important story to tell. Piper fights so hard for a life where things don’t get in the way of her happiness, but through that journey she learns that life has many roadblocks, but if you fight like hell, you can power through.

That for me, was everything growing up because even through the trials you fight through, can be overcome with hardwork and perseverance. Piper taught me to never stop fighting, because it pays off.

Marvel

The next group of female characters that have given me the power to keep fighting are actually apart of a huge company all together.

Marvel has given life to many female characters that can definitely hold their own like Black Widow, Scarlet Witch and all of the women in Wakanda. If the word “kickbutt” was to describe anyone, these are the ladies that conquer it with a day’s work.

These women are everything I wish I could be – mentally and physically strong, decisive, quick-witted, smart and courageous. Their pasts aren’t all rainbows, but from that, they have pushed past feeling sorry for themselves and made their own path in history. I don’t have words for how amazing they are.

Whenever something has gone wrong, or tragedy has struck, I picture them and how they would handle the situation. It may sound stupid, but it works.

“The Bold Type”

My final set of characters that push me to be my best self are from the “The Bold Type”. This is a present day show that follows three best friends, and their paths through life and their jobs working at a famous magazine company.

Not only does this show have empowering women, but they have empowering careers that are soaring.

If I was to recommend a show to watch with your BFF, this is the show that can make you laugh, cry and become closer. It showcases life’s struggles for women, but gives ways for pushing through. After I watch an episode, I truly feel like I can fight anything the world throws at me. I am a huge believer that movies and TV shows impact how you act and the paths you take through life. These characters are very special to me because they have all become apart of me.

I hope that sharing my story can lead others to their inspirations of empowering women. We can all have, and be them.

Tabitha Barr is a Nickerson freshman studying Media Communication and Production