By Rebecca Carney
Co-Sports Editor

The Hutchinson Community College volleyball team came out hot Monday night at the Sports Arena, sweeping Dodge City Community College.

With the win, the Hutchinson Community College volleyball team improved to 3-1 in the Jayhawk West. Sophomore Lexi Hogan tied a career high of 10 kills and sophomore Elena Takova, had eight kills and five blocks to help with the three-set sweep.

Set 1 – The Blue Dragons opened up strong, out hitting Dodge City. A Tara Davis kill gave the Blue Dragons an early 8-3 lead. Dodge City scored the next three points, but after a Takova/ Hydeah Hinesman block, HutchCC took a 16-7 lead. Later, a Takova kill finished off the set.

Set 2 – When tied at 5 apiece, freshman Lauren Wilson had two kills, which gave the Blue Dragons an 11-6 lead. Dodge City later pulled within one point but a service error stopped their rally and HutchCC reeled off, giving them a 2-0 match lead.

Set 3 – Takova carried the Blue Dragons, earning four of her five blocks in this set. Dodge City took an early lead, but HutchCC rallied on a 9-2 spurt to take the lead. HutchCC finished the match on a 10-1 run.

The Blue Dragons remained behind Colby Community College, Seward County Community College and Butler Community College in the standings, but none has played as many conference matches as Hutchinson has.

Soccer – For the first time on Saturday, the women’s soccer team played a night home game at Salthawk Sports Complex, and the game against Barton Community College turned out to be a dandy, as the teams played to a thrilling 3-3 tie.

There were two combined goals in the first two minutes of the game, but the Blue Dragons found they were down at halftime and then by two goals with 37 minutes left in the game.

Late in the game, when the Blue Dragons were awarded a penalty kick, with sophomore Brailey Moeder scoring the game-tying goal.

Football – The HutchCC football team suffered a tough loss on Saturday, falling to No. 2 Iowa Western 33-24 at Gowans Stadium. The Blue Dragons started out strong with touchdown from Khalil McClain, halfway through the first quarter.

At halftime, the Blue Dragons trailed 17-7. The Dragons tried to rally back, but were unsuccessful. After an Iowa Western safety late in the fourth quarter, the Blue Dragons fell too far behind. The final score was 33-24.

Golf – The Blue Dragon golf team headed to Amarillo, Texas on Monday. Freshman Charlie Crockett had sensational debut for the team. Crockett finished 7-under through 36 holes.

After 36 holes, the No.8 ranked golf team is currently sitting in sixth place. The Dragons were six shots off the team lead after 18 holes and trailed St. Mary’s by 13 strokes after two rounds.