On Feb. 14, most people were out enjoying the warm and welcoming Valentine’s Day weather. After all of my classes were over by 3:40 p.m., I had all intentions of being outside and enjoying the heat as well. That all ended once I took a 20-minute nap waiting for my dad to show up and give me a sheet of paper I forgot at home.

When I got up from the nap, I had a horrible headache and felt like I had to have been traveling through time, missing the wonderful day outside. When I met my dad and sister, we got pizza at Little Caesars. I took some home and got ready for bed. I started coughing trying to get the tickle out of my throat.

That didn’t work because when I woke up the next morning, I was burning up and it felt like the end of the world going on in my head. I texted my mom, asking what I should do. She told me to go to the doctor right away and take medicine.

I then smacked my head remembering that my car had been taken that morning to be worked on and wasn’t going to be returned until Friday morning. Not knowing what to do, I decided to head over to the Student Health Center. I was sweating really bad already and knew I had to have the flu. I just needed another opinion that was free.

Turns out I definitely had symptoms of the flu. So the nurse gave me a mask so I could tell my teachers I was sick and get what I needed done for the day.

I went back to the dorms and waited while watching comfort movies for my dad to get off work and buy my medicine. I then waited until he was really finished with work.

When he finally got there, I stripped my bed to get everything washed and started disinfecting the room. I let my roommate know that I was sick, so that she was aware of the germs in the room. She offered to drive me home, but my dad got there first.

So I spent Friday at home in Little River, during its Homecoming, being sick and miserable. My family was also a little sick, but not as bad as me I guess. I didn’t feel back to normal until Tuesday. I guess the flu is supposed to last a week.

On the bright side, I spent the weekend rewatching “The Vampire Diaries” and being fed home-cooked meals.

Brenna Eller is a Little River freshmen in Journalism.