By The Collegian staff

The Hutchinson Community College men’s basketball team suffered a crippling loss Wednesday, falling to Allen Community College 87-86 in Iola.

The loss pushing the Blue Dragons out of first place in the Jayhawk Conference and into third, a half game behind Coffeyville Community College and a game behind Barton Community College.

With just two games left in the regular season for the Blue Dragons, they’ll need some help to at least share the conference title. The good news is, Barton and Coffeyville play each other Saturday.

The Blue Dragons did not score in the final two minutes and had just four points in the final 4:05.

While Hutchinson’s record is still an impressive 23-5 overall and 19-5 in the conference, three of their losses have been to Dodge City Community College, Allen and Cloud County Community College. Those three teams are the bottom three teams in the conference. The Blue Dragons have also lost to Coffeyville and fourth-place Cowley Community College.

Blue Dragon women get easy road win – The HutchCC women’s basketball team has bounced back nicely from an early-February mini-swoon, as the Blue Dragons clobbered Allen 82-48 Wednesday in Iola.

That was the Blue Dragons’ third win, all by at least 18 points.

HutchCC led 36-26 at halftime, but then outscored the Red Devils 46-22 in the second half.

The win kept Hutchinson firmly in third place and a half-game behind second place Independence. The Blue Dragons and Pirates play Saturday, and the Blue Dragons have already beaten Independence this season.