By Amanda Carney
Staff writer

The flu is back and it’s worse than ever.

The 2018 flu season is one of the worst ever seen, especially in Kansas. More than 32 states have experienced high flu activity, some cases ending in death.

Many of the cases ending in death are seen in people over the age of 65. However, everyone should still remain cautious, even though there has not been a major flu epidemic at Hutchinson Community College – yet.

There are many ways to prevent yourself from getting the flu.

1)         If you have not received the flu shot, it is recommended you get one. Many doctors’ offices, including The Hutchinson Clinic and The Little Clinic at the Dillon’s Marketplace on 30th Avenue, have walk-in care.

2)         Wash your hands frequently while singing the ABC’s two or three times.

3)         Cover your cough. (Everyone around will appreciate it.)

4)         Wipe down door knobs or any other surface areas that people touch regularly.

5)         If you feel sick stay home. Even HutchCC president Carter File sent out an email suggesting any faculty member who was sick with the flu should stay home until well.

Flu symptoms consists of cough, sore throat, stuffy or runny nose muscle aches and fever.

If you feel like you are catching the flu, see a doctor. If you catch the flu within the first 48 hours, you may shorten how long you have the flu. Also, catching the flu within the first 48 hours can prevent how severe your flu gets.

Remember, the flu germs can live up to an additional 24 hours. Before returning to work, school or any normal activities make sure you have been on antibiotics for at least 24 hours.