By Lucas Barlow
Sports Editor

Halloween night marked the first round of the Region 6 volleyball tournament as Hutchinson Community College hosted Dodge City Community College at the Sports Arena.

The Blue Dragons weren’t frightened by the Conquistadors as they cruised to 3-0 sweep.

Hutchinson dominated most of the night, although they almost dropped the first set. Down 22-18, they made a late comeback, scoring seven unanswered points to win the set 25-22.

From that point on, the Blue Dragons never let the Conquistadors get close. The second set saw Hutchinson go out to an early 17-5 lead, en route to a 25-13 win. The final set of the evening was much like the previous one. With a comfortable eight-point margin, the Blue Dragons capped of the sweep with a 25-17 win.

Sophomore Paige Hiebert led the team once again with 11 kills and a .300 hitting percentage. She also achieved her 10th double-double and moved to fourth on the career kills list with 931, passing Thais Franca (2004-05). Sophomores Nina Pevic and Tatyana Ndekwe, had nine and eight kills, respectively. Katie Jorn led the team in assists with 27, also adding five kills (.333).

After Tuesday’s win over Dodge City, the Blue Dragons (25-12) advance to the NJCAA Region VI semifinals. They will travel to Liberal to play their next match on Saturday, taking on Garden City.